Hackledam School District #5
Thanks to the donation of a plot of land by Horton W. Case, this remote school was opened in 1875 at the end of Katrina Falls Rd, several miles south of Rock Hill, to serve the children of a logging community that grew along the Neversink River. Children from the west side had to cross the river via a cable suspension foot bridge to attend school. Logs were floated down river during the spring flood waters. The school building was moved northerly in 1916 due to a shift in the local population. (reason unknown). See the page for Hackle Dam for the second location.
On October 17, 2018, an exploratory expedition was launched to visit the remains of the once prosperous Hackledam lumbering camp and its notorious swinging foot bridge that spanned the Neversink River. The river gorge has been incorporated into a preserve that is owned and managed by New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC). Therefore, the land is protected from vehicles and alterations. We found the remains of the mill dam that powered the saw mill, and also the remains of the abutments of the foot bridge that spanned the river, as shown in the photo above.